Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Subway - Zion National Park

While Dental Student was on a break from school we decided to hike the Left Fork of North Creek (The Subway) in Zion National Park. This is one of my favorite places to hike. Four members of my BYU ward (201st) were also able to go with us. Truth be told, I figured the more young people in the group, the better chance I have of getting someone to pack my sorry butt out of the bottom of the canyon. My son and I take the famous "Log" photo op.
Alta and Thomas Bills show us the colorful scenery along Russell Gulch on the way to the Subway.
Are we lost?!?!? Dental Student, Thomas and Jason Ewell look like they are trying to find a vantage point to see if we know where we're going.
We decided to stop and eat our lunch on the ridge before the descent into to Left Fork while our food was still dry. In the back is Hiram Conley, our trusty guild. As much as I have hiked Zion, Hiram has more. I do have him on longevity, I started Zion slot canyons before he was in kindergarten. Thanks for you expertise Hiram! We'll do Das Boot next time. ;)
I love this descent path into the canyon. Dental Student found that sliding down that tree was a bit painful. Ouch!
This was our first rope climb down a chimney. Jason "sticks" his landing while Hiram acts as a spotter.
So, this looks like a great picture for our first CD, we just need to come up with a name for the band.
If you get nervous in tight spots, this is not the hike for you. Dental Student by now was soaked from head to toe. Probably because he dived through that submerged archway. Burrrrr! Most of us did have goose bumps and the shivers at one point or another.
Ah, the vastness of it all!
Do we look like posers, or what?
This is were you need that 75 foot rope (note the rappeller in the background). Jason actually found a place where you could slide, crash and burn into the bottom. Go Jason! I prized my ankles too much and used the rope.
The end of The Subway.

Who needs a water park, we found our own water slide.

The "boys" discovered fish in the stream. No one would be happy until they caught one. Jason is giving his expert advice from the sideline.
Augh, another beautiful waterfall. Okay, I take a picture of this one too!
Victory! We made it up the grueling ascent out of the canyon. No, really, grueling. After a taxing hike I'm thinking......Arby's. That was our first stop on the way home. Btw, we gave the tee shirt to him so he could remember which state we were in. The North Carolina hat did confuse him once in a while.

4 comments:

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

Spectacular! I have never done a Zion's hike...except that one that everybody does. I think 90 year old grannies can walk up that mossy one.

Its time my kids and I had an adventure! We will use you for our guide.

Kairle Oaks said...

Okay, next time you've got to invite me! Looks like you had a wonderful adventure!

Tiffany said...

Wow, these pictures are amazing! What a beautiful place! We miss you guys too! The 201st ward is so wonderful-we loved being there! Hope all is well with you all!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Way pretty!
It is fun to see how many people have blogs!

/* */